Lexical UnitsScenesConcept HierarchiesSound ExamplesParallel Texts

Czech Republic leave it late

Wednesday, 17 November 2004

By Igor Panevski at Gradski stadium

[1] Two goals in the last three minutes brought the Czech Republic three points in a tough FIFA World Cup qualifying Group 1 fixture in F.Y.R. Macedonia.

Early blow

[2] The Czechs dominated the whole match and the home team only launched occasional attacks. However, the visitors received an early blow when striker Milan Baroš was taken off with an injury 17 minutes in to be replaced by Marek Heinz.

Home chance

[3] Half an hour in, the home side, who began the day two points behind their visitors in fifth place, created their best chance. Goran Pandev found Dragan Cadikovski, but he shot over from 16 metres out. That was to prove their only real threat as for the next hour the UEFA EURO 2004™ semi-finalists dominated.

Czech frustration

[4] Five minutes into the second half Heinz sent an effort over the bar and soon afterwards Jan Koller missed from close range. Home goalkeeper Petar Milosevski blocked Tomáš Rosický's shot just before the hour mark, and the Czech frustration was continuing when Vratislav Lokvenc was sent on for Zdenek Grygera in the 76th minute.

Jankulovski denied

[5] On 80 minutes a long clearance from Petr Cech found its way to Tomáš Jun, but he too could not find the target. Igor Mitreski cleared Marek Jankulovski's shot off the goalline five minutes later, but soon afterwards the deadlock was broken.

Goals arrive

[6] It was substitute Lovenc on target as he headed in Karel Poborský's cross. In added time Poborský made the second, Koller this time on target with a header.

Tight group

[7] Victory takes the Czechs to within a point of the Group 1 lead in a very tight pool, and they meet another of the leading contenders, Finland, in their next fixture on 26 March. F.Y.R. Macedonia only wait until 9 February to kick off their 2005 programme of qualifiers, welcoming Armenia who today secured their first point by holding Romania 1-1.

Jan Koller celebrates his late Czech Republic goal